Hosted and created by Jamie over at The Perpetual Page Turner, the Annual End of Year Book Survey is a really fun way to look back at your year in reading and think through some of your favorites!
2017 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 80 (As of 12/29/18)
Number of Re-Reads: 15
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2017?
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was SO excited for the new Dessen novel, but it really fell flat for me 🙁
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I always skip this question since I’m super against book pushing.
5. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
Series Started: The Becoming of Noah Shaw by Michelle Hodkin
Best Sequel: Haunting the Deep by Adriana Mather
Best Series Ender: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sara J Maas
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
For Adult Fiction: Liza Palmer- I adored Nowhere But Home.
For YA Fiction: Sarah Nicole Lemon (for Done Dirt Cheap) or Gloria Chao (for American Panda, a 2018 release I got to read early).
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don’t read that much Middle Grade, but From the Notebooks of a Middle School Princess was fantastic and so much fun!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
9. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
The Hating Game by Sally Thorne strikes again! I can see myself rereading if I want a swoony romance!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord- I LOVE the blues and greens, and it was also a fantastic book on top of being an amazing read!
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
It’s pretty hard to forget the glamour and debauchery of Evelyn Hugo!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
I actually don’t think I read any books this year that had a real lyrical quality to their prose, so I’ll have to skip this one!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Far From the Tree examined families and adoption in YA in a way I’ve never seen done before.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
I procrastinated over a year on this one (it was just so long!) and I read it over the Christmas holiday and it was amazing!! Review to come in January!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
Ahhh I’m so bad and don’t usually keep track of these quotes unless I’m highlighting them on my Kindle as I read.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2017?
Longest: A Court of Wings and Ruin
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I’m not sure I even fully understand what happened here at the ending but the gist I got was pretty shocking and terrifying!!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Feyre + Rhysand, obviously.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
All of the Dregs!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
So I probably never would have read/known about the Black Dog Bay series had it not been for Lauren and I’m so glad she put them on my radar because it was such a fun series to binge and the third installment (pictured above) was one of my favorite books of 2017!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Joshua from The Hating Game!
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo wins again!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
I had a lot of fun exploring Italy in Love & Gelato!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
So I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually shed tears while reading (HP 7 aside), but I was getting pretty misty eyed toward the end of Robin Benway’s newest novel. So many family and sibling feels!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Hmmmm no real “soul crushers” this year!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
This was my first time reading a retelling of Phantom of the Opera and it was a really unique take on the story!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
The mom in Bittersweet made me so angry!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2017?
I didn’t explore as many new book blogs as I would have liked to this year, but I really enjoy and started following Metaphors & Moonlight!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2017?
Probably A Court of Wings and Ruin because I could finally flail about how the series ended.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I really enjoyed discussing YA for Different Ages!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
YallWest as usual!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2017?
Probably getting approved for an ARC of The Becoming of Noah Shaw, and all of the amazing author events I was able to attend!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
Finding the time- I took on a new role this year at work that has a lot more responsibility and a larger time commitment. That coupled with a lot of life events that happened (like moving!) made me feel like I was playing catch up a lot!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
10 Lessons in Decorum and Dystopian from The Selection. <—- This is usually the most popular post every year and I honestly have no idea why lol.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My YA Books Set in the Golden State series- I had so much fun compiling it!
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I ordered my first Marked by Mary bookmarks and fell in love!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I completed my Goodreads reading challenge, surpassing it by 20 books and reading more than I ever have before in a year! I think I initially joined some other challenges for 2017 but promptly forgot about them because as I’ve come to learn, the GR one is really the only one I can devote the time and energy too.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
OH this is so hard, there are so many! Probably Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index, I received it for Christmas and can’t wait to get started on it!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Well you can check out my entire list right here, but the top top one is A Court of Frost and Starlight (because I am Rhysand trash).
3. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare! I can’t wait to see how the trilogy ends after the nasty cliffhanger ending of Lord of Shadows!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
I’d love to push myself to read even more, and focus on posting more discussions again!
6. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):