Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the fantastic blog The Broke and the Bookish. I really enjoyed making my Halloween list for TTT last year (Top Ten Characters I’d Want to Be For Halloween) and I wanted to think of a fresh new spin on it, as Halloween’s one of my favorite seasons. This year I decided to reflect upon which characters could throw an awesome Halloween party (which I’d be inviting myself to, of course).
- Fred and George Weasley from Harry Potter: How awesome would a Halloween party in Fred and George’s joke shop be? Wizards dressing up as notorious muggles, someone spiking the butterbeer with Amortentia, magical fireworks and gadgets and gizmos flying around…
- Dr. Thornhollow from A Madness So Discreet: A murder mystery Halloween party would be the most appropriate choice, of course, for the doctor who dabbles in detective work. A party held at the Ohio Asylum at the hill, where the social statuses between the patients and the rest of society fell and it was simply a party where everyone dressed up as they saw themselves or wished to be without anyone casting judgement. No doubt Thornhollow would make quick work of psychologically analyzing why his guests turned up in the costumes they did, and what that said about his personality.
- Tamlin from A Court of Thorns and Roses: A Halloween masquerade (of course) of the most elegant and magical proportions could only be pulled off by a high fae. Perhaps the party calls for everyone to dress up as members from another court and play make-believe for the night, using their glamours to pretend to be whoever they wanted, or perhaps dress up as characters from well known myths and fairy tales, putting their own twisted spin on the interpretations.
- Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door: The costumes would be insane, and so would the expectations. Lola wouldn’t let anyone into her party without head to toe costuming, a wig that was twice the size of one’s head, and accessories in more colors than the rainbow.
- Cath from Fangirl: Can you say a fan fiction party? Guests could come as their fan fiction couplings, play book vs. movie trivia, and a costume contest would definitely happen. guests would be able to shed the stigma of going against the cannon of a well known series for one night in favor of their own interpretation of the story and plot.
- Mia from The Princess Diaries: There’s never a party involving Mia that doesn’t have equal parts drama and entertainment. I could definitely see Mia imparting some sort of theme, such as “Famous Pop Culture figures” and people dressing up as anything from favorite 00’s pop couples (totally referring to Justin and Britney) to infamous and inappropriate dictators (I’m looking at you Grandmeré). There would be vegetarian delicacies served right alongside the cheetos and Sprite, since Mia’s never able to shake the normalcy of her upbringing. Top it off with a scandalous hook up by the end of the night, and you have a typical royal Genovian bash.
- Willowdean from Dumplin’: I think Willowdean and her circle of friends could have a Halloween party that your middle or high school self would have loved to have gone too. You could come dressed as your pop or country role model with no judgements, watch horrendously corny slasher flicks and still be scared, and sneak out to go trick or treating even though you’re probably too old too. There’d be a sweet indulgence in being your most fun, child-like self with Willowdean’s group of friends.
- Karou & Zuze from Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Aside from the fact that the setting for the party would be in Prague or the dessert or really where ever Karou’s magic took you, Karou and Zuze could supply a dark yet magical Halloween experience. From giving each guest a small, inconsequential wish to revel in when they walked through the door to letting the humans and chimera mingle without realizing who was who, this party would be straight out of an eerie fairy tale.
- Penryn & Raffe from Angelfall: No doubt it would be dark and slightly inappropriate given the whole, you know, post apocalyptic world thing, however I think it’s instances like those where the normalcy of a party would stretch a long way. I could see the party being somewhere hidden, underground, with guests showing extreme creativity in their costumes given the limited resources they had. It would be interesting to see what they showed up as and what they feared in a world where so many things thought of as solely myths or monsters had in fact become a reality.
- Gatsby from The Great Gatsby: Because there simply ain’t no party like a Gatsby party.
Have you ever daydreamed about going to a party hosted by a character? Would you be drawn to these parties or stay far, far away? Let me know in the comments!
These are some great costume ideas! Especially Penryn and Raffe! They would be a cute couples costume haha. 🙂
No party like a Gatsby party, indeed! But you should definitely add Magnus Bane of The Mortal Instruments series to this list, that would be an awesome Halloween party too!
I’d definitely want to go to anything organized by Fred & George. I mean, no matter what it is, it would be epic. But a Halloween party? Even more so! And I love the idea of a fan fiction party by Cath! To be honest, I think it would be a wild success. Sort of like a low-key comic con -without the actual actors, writers and so on?
Lola certainly would throw a great Halloween party. I’d love to go to parties hosted by those you’ve picked! Great idea.
Such a great topic! I would definitely go to a Fred and George Halloween part, that would be amazing. Love your list!
I would totally want to go to a party thrown by Lola or Cath. Lola’s would be super crazy I bet! Fun list!
Now that I think about it, Gatsby did kinda-sorta throw a Halloween-ish party, if we take the moviemakers interpretation of the book. Costumes everywhere.
Here’s mine: Spoo-ooky Books!
I’d totally go to the Weasleys’ and Cath’s party! The Weasleys would trick everyone, and in Cath party we could find new friends in the same fandom. I’m thinking about a party hosted by Magnus Bane. Glitters, magic, and downworlders everywhere!
Great list. I laughed a lot at the idea of Mia Thermopolis throwing a Halloween party—but it would be fun—and also laughed at Gatsby. Yes he’d throw a darn good party too. Thanks for making me smile today.
Fun list! I did something similar, but mine was “bookish people” I would invite to a Halloween party I was hosting. I like the clever spin your list has! Happy Halloween week to you!
A George and Fred Weasley Halloween party would definitely be entertaining! Fun topic idea for today!
I SO love your idea for your list!! And I would LOVE to go to any party thrown by Fred and George… although I don’t think I’d be eating anything, I’m kind of fond of my tongue being the normal size that it is 🙂 And you’re right about Lola… the costumes would be off the hook. And YES to Cath… mostly because I love her, but I also love fandoms so that would be a lot of fun!!
This was such an awesome idea! I’d add on Effie from the Hunger Games. I reckon she’d know how to throw something wickid for Haloween.
Effie is SUCH a good choice, Becky! Sad I didn’t think of that one for this post.
Hi! I would love to go to a Halloween party thrown by Mia. 🙂 Great idea for this week!
Totally Agree with Mia. Her sleepover party was already amazing how much more a halloween party?
ADVANCE HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
Here’s mine I hope you check it out 🙂 MY TOP TEN TUESDAY
HAHAH I love your idea! Of course Gatsby and Fred & George would throw amazing parties!
I love your spin on this TTT! I definitely wouldn’t mind attending a party hosted by Fred & George, Tamlin, Lola or Karou + Zuze. Just think of the shenanigans and the costumes!
I’d like to go to Gatsby Halloween party! Or maybe a party hosted by Dorian Gray. 🙂
Check out my TTT and my Halloween Giveaway.
This is a great topic! A Halloween party by Fred and George would be amazing – imagine the fireworks and decorations. And I think you’re totally spot on about Mia’s party. I’d love to go to both of those. Brilliant list!
Yay for Gatsby!!!! I’d definitely hit that party.
I love your topic choice for this week’s Halloween edition Top Ten! Fred and George would throw an amazing Halloween party full of tricks and probably also treats. Basically I would love to go to any of these parties. If you go could I also get an invite at least to one of the parties? lol