Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the fantastic blog The Broke and the Bookish. There were a few options for this week’s topic, and I chose “Top Ten Characters I Would Want to Dress Up As for Halloween.” I decided this would be really fun (if not realistic, because my sewing skills are basically non-existent) and perhaps one day I’ll be able to replicate a few of these! Some of these ideas are taken from costumes I’ve created in the past as well.
1) Katniss from The Huger Games Trilogy- This is actually a costume that I’ve been wanting to do for a while, as I have a super cool Mockingjay pin given to me by a friend who received it as there work a few years ago to promote the release of the movie. I have long hair so I could put it in Katniss’ trademark braid, get a faux archery kit, put on some combat boots and go around shouting “I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE” as parties.
2) Zuze from Daughter of Smoke and Bone– Ok, do you remember when Zuze and her boyfriend put on the street show where she’s a broken ballerina-doll marionette and there’s a giant puppet that looks like it’s controlling her? Am I the only one who thought that image was extremely cool? (And who thought it was really cool that Zuze was a puppet maker?) It would be awesome to be able to replicate that costume!
3) “A” from Pretty Little Liars– An easy costume idea, just a red trench coat, a blonde wig, designer sunglasses and some high heels. Just shadily slip away when anyone tries to talk to you at parties, and bonus points if you leave cryptic messages in red lipstick on walls and mirrors. (EXCEPT I’M NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE SERIES/SHOW SO NO SPOILERS AS TO A’s IDENTITY PLEASE)
4) Daenerys Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire series- Call it basic if you must, but she is a) gorgeous and b) a total B.A. and I may have a slight obsession with all things Targaryen. Bonus points for wearing purple contacts and dressing up one of my cats as a baby dragon.
5) A Horcrux from Harry Potter– Ok, so I actually DID dress up as a Horcrux one year (although it wasn’t for Halloween but rather for the last Harry Potter midnight book release party). I wanted to do something *different* and younger me thought I was pretty clever. So I donned a green plaid school girl skirt, white button down, kneesocks, cape, etc. along with a giant silvery locket I own and TA-DA I was “Slytherin’s Locket.”
6) Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby– Because I am not above wanting to wear pretty, sparkly things, fancying myself in love with Leo, and going around dramatically sighing and proclaiming “I hope she’ll be a fool — that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”
7) Sailor Moon/Queen Serenity from the Sailor Moon Manga- I grew up with Sailor Moon as my all time heroine/role model/inspiration as a small child, and proudly dressed as her for Halloween in first grade. I’d love to revive my time as her and/or her gorgeous mother who lived on the moon as the Queen and ruled benevolently in fabulous white dresses.
8) Madeline from Madeline– Blue trench coat, cute yellow hat, knee socks and an air for defying authority is all that’s needed to recreate one of my favorite childhood book characters!
9) The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland- I don’t mean one of those pre-made, super revealing costumes you can find in abundance online, but a real, sweeping gown, scepter, and playing-card inspired makeup.
10) Kevin from Up– Ok, ok, so this is a movie not a book, but Kevin was sooo colorful and so elusive, and it would be so much fun to have an overzealous need for rainbow feathers!
I think being a Horcrux is a great choice! 😀 Katniss would be pretty fun too.
Katniss would also be cool in one of the gorgeous gowns she wears on the televised events in the Capitol- I saw the idea on some other lists today!
This is such a great list – dressing up as a Horcrux is such an original idea, and I love the idea of dressing up as Kevin from UP. 😀 You could have so much fun with feathers!
I think Kevin would be so much fun with costume and make-up, and you could totally use in as an excuse to photo-bomb people all night, as Kevin is known for his rare (and often untimely) appearances!
Go for Katniss. Just go for it! 😀
I need to learn how to french braid first! Haha
Your Horcrux costume sounds pretty awesome. That was clever. And Kevin? YES.
Thanks! And don’t you just love UP? I’d love to give my future child an UP themed bedroom one day!
Katniss is on my list too! Great picks! And I love your description of Daisy, it’s hilarious!
Thanks! Her character’s rather amusing, but pretty depressing at the same time when you really think about it. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Daisy Buchanan, yes! I would dress up as her any day of the week.
I love the fashion from the Gatsby time period!
Haha I love your picks!
I have Katniss on my list as well. Aww why haven’t I thought about Zuze? That is such a great costume idea. I have yet to read Great Gatsby but I saw the movie and I love vintage and retro dresses so it would be wonderful to dress up as her.
Really amazing list!
My TTT: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/10/top-ten-characters-i-would-totally-want.html
Thank you! And I’ll be honest- I preferred the Gatsby movie to the book! Thanks for stopping by 🙂
OMG “A” would be such a great costume, I can’t believe I never thought of that!
It was a moment of inspiration!
This post was so much fun, I really enjoyed reading it! Love that you dressed up as a Horcrux, and I would mind being Daenerys for a night. 🙂
A Gatsby party would be an absolute riot, the costumes are so much fun.
Thank you! I’d LOVE to go to a Gatsby-themed party- or host one! Unfortunately my Horcrux costume was lost on most people, they just assumed I was a Slytherin student haha.
Katniss is the perfect costume for you! You’ll have to figure out how to do a fishtail braid. 🙂
I didn’t even thing of Zuzu as a puppet! The Horcrux idea is genius! I loved sailor moon too! This list is great! 🙂
I’m not all that great with braiding so maybe I’ll get lucky enough to find a friend who knows how! Did you watch Sailor Moon, read the manga, or both?
I saw the anime first then I read a few of the early manga. I stink at braiding too, but my sister loves to experiment on my hair.
I love all of these!
Madeline is an amazing costume idea, that just blew my mind! Also “A” is inspired too! You’ve got some corkers here! What’s your choice for this year? 🙂
I haven’t chose this year, mainly because I don’t have any Halloween plans quite yet! I think there’s a lot of great inspiration though from looking back at childhood favorites!
I feel like if you volunteered as a tribute at a typical, rowdy college party–that would spell for some bad things haha.
joey via. thoughts and afterthoughts
This is a very good point hahaha
A, haha. You made me think of adding Red Coat to my list. Though I feel it’d be mistake for Little Red Riding Hood in real life. Lol.
Who doesn’t want to be Katniss? Or Daenerys. Or Sailor Moon. I had all three of them on my list, though the Sailor Moon was harder, since there are the different transformations to take into account, then there is her princess form and Neo-Queen form. Such hard decisions. 🙂 Great list!
I loveeee sailor moon. I love her Neo-Queen form personally, it reminds me so much of Queen Serenity 🙂
I didn’t even think of Zuze for Halloween but you’re absolutely right, that would be a terrific costume!
I thought it was the perfect blend of creepy and glamorous!
Yes definitely! Have you read Night of Cake & Puppets? I think it’s all about Zuze.