Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the fantastic blog The Broke and the Bookish. There were a few options for this week’s topic, and I chose “Top Ten Characters I Would Want to Dress Up As for Halloween.” I decided this would be really fun (if not realistic, because my sewing skills are basically non-existent) and perhaps one day I’ll be able to replicate a few of these! Some of these ideas are taken from costumes I’ve created in the past as well.
1) Katniss from The Huger Games Trilogy- This is actually a costume that I’ve been wanting to do for a while, as I have a super cool Mockingjay pin given to me by a friend who received it as there work a few years ago to promote the release of the movie. I have long hair so I could put it in Katniss’ trademark braid, get a faux archery kit, put on some combat boots and go around shouting “I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE” as parties.
2) Zuze from Daughter of Smoke and Bone– Ok, do you remember when Zuze and her boyfriend put on the street show where she’s a broken ballerina-doll marionette and there’s a giant puppet that looks like it’s controlling her? Am I the only one who thought that image was extremely cool? (And who thought it was really cool that Zuze was a puppet maker?) It would be awesome to be able to replicate that costume!
3) “A” from Pretty Little Liars– An easy costume idea, just a red trench coat, a blonde wig, designer sunglasses and some high heels. Just shadily slip away when anyone tries to talk to you at parties, and bonus points if you leave cryptic messages in red lipstick on walls and mirrors. (EXCEPT I’M NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE SERIES/SHOW SO NO SPOILERS AS TO A’s IDENTITY PLEASE)
4) Daenerys Targaryen from A Song of Ice and Fire series- Call it basic if you must, but she is a) gorgeous and b) a total B.A. and I may have a slight obsession with all things Targaryen. Bonus points for wearing purple contacts and dressing up one of my cats as a baby dragon.
5) A Horcrux from Harry Potter– Ok, so I actually DID dress up as a Horcrux one year (although it wasn’t for Halloween but rather for the last Harry Potter midnight book release party). I wanted to do something *different* and younger me thought I was pretty clever. So I donned a green plaid school girl skirt, white button down, kneesocks, cape, etc. along with a giant silvery locket I own and TA-DA I was “Slytherin’s Locket.”
6) Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby– Because I am not above wanting to wear pretty, sparkly things, fancying myself in love with Leo, and going around dramatically sighing and proclaiming “I hope she’ll be a fool — that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”
7) Sailor Moon/Queen Serenity from the Sailor Moon Manga- I grew up with Sailor Moon as my all time heroine/role model/inspiration as a small child, and proudly dressed as her for Halloween in first grade. I’d love to revive my time as her and/or her gorgeous mother who lived on the moon as the Queen and ruled benevolently in fabulous white dresses.
8) Madeline from Madeline– Blue trench coat, cute yellow hat, knee socks and an air for defying authority is all that’s needed to recreate one of my favorite childhood book characters!
9) The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland- I don’t mean one of those pre-made, super revealing costumes you can find in abundance online, but a real, sweeping gown, scepter, and playing-card inspired makeup.
10) Kevin from Up– Ok, ok, so this is a movie not a book, but Kevin was sooo colorful and so elusive, and it would be so much fun to have an overzealous need for rainbow feathers!